[Beta]ButtonDots - a workarround to a design flaw

We are searching new team members. Are you up to date with latest news or do you want to help other users? Then you might be able to help us out! More information
  • Hi everyone,

I had been annoyed by not finding any button on the axon7 most of the time due to them not being illuminated. The somewhat odd placement has done its part as well here, so after not finding any app on the playstore to do this and becoming more and more frustrated by that fact, i have decided to do it by myself.

So i fired up tasker, began my experiments and made an app that displays some small marks on border of the screen directly above the sensor buttons.

Please be aware that this is a beta and more or less a bag of bugs, but it is in a usable tate and you might like to use it as it is for now.

In settings you can control start and end time for it, start time sets the time when the service starts before midnight and end time sets the end after midnight, currently you can not set it to be on from 4 to 6 in the afternoon for example.

if you have any suggestions, dont hessitate to post them, i will consider them if i think they are usefull.

-Fix the short flicker when device is tilted in landscape view

You can download the app here

V0.10 (2018-03-04)

-minor bugfixes with sunrise/sunset

-positioning corrections

V0.9 (2018-03-02)

-Fixed a bug that prevented the settings to open after first day

V0.8 (2018-02-27)

-fixed startup even without location permission

-removed storage permission requirement

-changed loading spinner from gif to html

-initially dots are disabled now after first start

V0.7 (2018-02-26)

-final positioning fix

-fixed some major orientation related issues

-fixed a big where frame integration could not be disabled

-several minor bugs fixed i don't remember exactly...

V0.6 (2018-02-25)

-fixed a bug where dots disapeared in landscape left view

-some possitions corrected

-added option to enable black background so it looks like integrated into framing

V0.5 (2018-02-24)

-added slider to adjust to other devices

V0.4 (2018-02-21)

- replaced start up messsge by a spinning graphic, this needs storage permission however...

-added option to make dots a bit bigger

V0.3 (2018-02-18)

-added "use sunrise/sunset

This requires network location setting and some time to initialize on first startup

V0.2 (2018-02-18)

-Now enable/disable checkbox works

-Timer control can be disabled to be always on

V0.1 (2018-02-17)

-initial beta release

• Really nice one.

I created button dots by using the app "screen overlays" last year in march.

It was quite a mess until everything was perfect.

I would love to use yours, but would need two small features added.

1. A black line (deep black), 1 or 2 px thicker than the button dashes as an underlay.

So it looks as a fixed part of the buttom frame.

2. To leave it always on at the same position, even in landscape

Maybe just as an option as somebody might need every single px in landscape for whatever reason.

I am using the "fixed-3-dot-on-black-line" for one year now and it is really useful.

To have it in one ready app like yours, is what I was always looking for.

My way is too complicated and sometime shows 2% power consumption which is a bit odd.

So, if you feel like adding this 2things, I'd really appreciate using it rather than my amateur workaround.

• unfortunately i messed up my project yesterday while trying to fix a bug. Also i had no backup to roll back, so i have to start over from nearly clean project. This wont change much for you except that you have to wait a bit longer for the next version...

• can you please check on button positions in V0.5 .

All of them moved some px to the right.

Before they were perfectly centered.

And...as I don't know, if you read my two wishes, I mentioned above...

1. Please add an option to underlay the button dots with a black line (full width).

It is just for look-and-feel that they belong to the original Axon7 frame layout.

2. Please add an option to leave them on in landscape.

To me it would be very useful for two purposes.

I have apps, where in landscape I need to longpress the button for a functions menu and secondly, while looking videos in landscape mode, I sometimes need to taskswitch to socnet-apps or else.

So it would be useful to see them in landscape.